The following sections of the one- and two-family dwelling code adopted in section 6-161 are hereby revised as follows:
Section R101.1: Insert “City of Norfolk”
Section R102.7.1 Insert at end "If the code official finds the value of the proposed work equals or exceeds 50 percent of the market value of the building/structure before the improvement or repair is started, the building/structure shall be removed from the property. If the structure has historical or architectural value the code official may issue permits for repair/rehabilitation."
Section (A) 103.1 Creation of enforcement agency. Amend to read as follows:
The department of building safety is hereby created and the official in charge thereof shall be known as the building official. The terms "building official" and "code official" shall be interchangeable as they relate to this code.
Section R105.2 Work exempt from permit. Amend to read as follows:
Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from the permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.
1. One-story detached accessory structures, provided the floor area does not exceed 64 square feet.
2. Fences not over 4 feet high.
3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the top of finished grade to top of wall.
4. A plan stamped by a design professional shall not be required for pole/post and beam buildings of 2400 square feet or less in R-R, S-R, and A zoning districts.
5. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade and not over any basement or story below.
6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
7. Prefabricated above ground swimming pools.
8. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling.
9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
10. Replacement of existing windows with like size windows where no structural alteration is required to affect said change. Window opening size shall not be substantially diminished by replacement and in no instance shall a casement or slider style window be replaced with a double-hung window style, unless minimum egress standard is met.
11. Reroofing permits shall not be required for detached uninhabitable accessory structures.
Section R106.3.1. Approval of construction documents. Delete this section.
Section R108.2 Schedule of permit fees. Add the Building Permit Fees set forth in Section 2-5 of the Norfolk City Code.
Section 110.2 Change in use. Delete this section.
Section 110.3 Certificate Issued. Delete this section.
Section R110.4 Temporary occupancy. Delete this section.
Section R112.1 General. Amend to read as follows:
Any person who is aggrieved by a decision, notice or order of the code official and/or director of planning and development made pursuant to this article may appeal such decision, notice or order to the board of appeals established pursuant to the current building code in force and effect in the jurisdiction of the City of Norfolk, Nebraska. The procedure for said appeal shall be as published in said building code then currently in force and effect.
Section R113.4 Violation penalties. Amend to read as follows:
Any person, firm, or corporation violating any of the provisions of this code shall be guilty of an offense and shall be deemed guilty of a separate offense for each and every day or portion thereof during which any violation of any of the provisions of this code is committed, continued or allowed, and upon conviction of any such violation, such person shall be punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).
Section R114.1 Notice to owner. Amend to read as follows:
Upon notice from the code official or director of planning and development that work on any building or structure is being done contrary to the provisions of this code, such work shall immediately be stopped. The stop work order shall be in writing and shall be given to the owner of the property involved, or to the owner’s agent, or to the person doing the work; and shall state the conditions under which work will be permitted to be resumed.
Section R202 Definitions. Add definitions of "Crawl Space", “Sleeping Room” and “Building Envelope” as follows:
CRAWL SPACE. An underfloor space that is not a basement. A crawl space shall have a minimum height of 30" from bottom of floor joists to top of concrete floor. Floor shall not be less than 3" thick. Supply and return from HVAC system shall be provided in each crawl space area.
SLEEPING ROOM. Any room in a house that is greater than 70 square feet and has built-in closet space and typically could be used as a bedroom. This does not include rooms used for cooking, eating, family living, gathering, bathrooms, toilet rooms and halls.
BUILDING ENVELOPE. Building sections which separate inside, conditioned spaces from outside air.
Table R301.2(1): Insert the following design criteria information.
|Roof Snow Load:||30 lbs. per square foot|
|Ground Snow Load:||25 lbs. per square foot|
|Wind Speed:||115 mph|
|Seismic Design Category:||B|
|Subject to Damage from Weathering:||Severe|
|Subject to Damage from Frost Line Depth:||42 inches|
|Subject to Damage from Termite:||Moderate to Heavy|
|Subject to Damage from Decay:||None to Slight|
|Winter Design Temp:||4 Degrees|
|Flood Hazards:||Not Available|
Section R301.5 Table R301.5 Amend all 30 pound live loads to 40 pounds.
Section R302.5.1 Amend. Delete "equipped with a self-closing device."
Secton R302.7 Under-stair protection. Delete this section.
Section R302.12 Draftstopping. Delete this section.
Section R302.12.1 Materials. Delete this section.
Section R302.13 Fire protection of floors. Delete this section.
Section R303.7 Stairway illumination. Amend to read as follows:
All interior and exterior stairways, serving a means of egress, shall be provided with a means to illuminate the stairs, including the landings and treads. Interior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of each landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the top landing of the stairway. Exterior stairways providing access to a basement from the outside grade level shall be provided with an artificial light source located in the immediate vicinity of the bottom landing of the stairway.
Section R305.1 Minimum ceiling height. Amend to read as follows:
Habitable spaces, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, and laundry room areas shall have a clear ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm).
1. For rooms with sloped ceilings, at least 50 percent of the required floor area of the room must have a ceiling height of at least 7 feet (2134 mm) and no portion of the required floor area may have a ceiling height of less than 5 feet (1524 mm).
2. Bathrooms shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm) at the center of the front clearance area for fixtures as shown in Figure R307.1. The ceiling height above fixtures shall be such that the fixture is capable of being used for its intended purpose. A shower or tub equipped with a showerhead shall have a minimum ceiling height of 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm) above a minimum area 30 inches (762 mm) by 30 inches (762 mm) at the showerhead.
R305.1.1 Basements. Amend to read as follows:
Residential one- and two-family basements built prior to January 1, 2000, which contain habitable or non-habitable spaces, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, and laundry rooms shall have a ceiling height of not less than 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm). Residential basements built on or after January 1, 2000, with areas shown above in this section, shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm).
Exception: Beams, girders, ducts, or other obstructions may project to within 6 feet 4 inches (1931 mm) of the finished floor.
Section R309.5 Fire Sprinklers. Delete this text. Add "Garages located less than 10 feet from a dwelling unit on the same lot shall be protected with not less than 5/8" gypsum board applied to the interior and exterior walls.
Section R3188.8.131.52 Risers. Add Exception: 1. Secondary stairways serving only storage and utility areas need not comply with rise height and tread depth.
Section R3184.108.40.206 Height. Handrail height, measured vertically from the sloped plane adjoining the tread nosing, or finish surface of ramp slope, shall not be less than 30 inches and or more than 38 inches.
Section R313 Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems. Delete this section.
Section R314.2.2 Alterations, repairs and additions. Delete text and exceptions. Replace with "All dwelling units shall have operational interconnected smoke detectors. Smoke detectors shall be located as required by Section R314.3."
Section R317.1.(1) Amend to "Wood joists or the bottom of a wood structural floor where closer than 30" to the top of the concrete crawl space floor."
Section R402.2 Concrete. Add the following sentence:
Garage floors and driveways or unreinforced concrete shall be a minimum of 5" thick. Reinforced concrete shall be a minimum of 4" thick.
Section R403.1.1 Miniumum size. Add "Spread footings shall not be less than 16" wide or less than 8" thick with 2 courses of 1/2" rebar."
Section R403.1.4.1 Frost Protection. Amend exceptions to read as follows:
1. Accessory buildings less than one hundred eighty (180) square feet shall not be required to be constructed with footings which extend below frost line. Concrete for slab on grade shall be a minimum of four (4) inches thick and a grid work of number 4 rebar four (4) foot on center.
Section R502.3 Allowable joist spans. Amend to read as follows:
Spans for floor joists shall be in accordance with Table R502.3.1(2). For other grades and species and for other loading conditions, refer to the AF & PA Span Tables for Joists and Rafters.
Section R502.3.1 Sleeping areas and attic joists. Delete this section.
Table R502.3.1(1) Floor Joist Spans For Common Lumber Species. Delete this table.
Section R502.3.2 Other floor joists. Amend to read as follows:
Table R502.3.1(2) shall be utilized to determine the maximum allowable span of floor joists that support all areas of the building, provided that the design live load does not exceed 40 psf and the design dead load does not exceed 10 psf.
Section R506.2.3 Vapor retarder. Delete this section.
Section R802.4.1 Rafter size. Add "Rafter sizes of less than 2" x 6" shall not be permitted."
Section R908.3.1.1 Roof recover not allowed. Add:
4. Architectural laminated asphalt shingles shall not be covered by an additional layer of asphalt shingles.
Chapter 11: Remove this chapter from the one- and two- family dwelling code, however retain the language therefrom and adopt it as Appendix R with the following notation:
“[This appendix is informative and is not part of the code and words or phrases that indicate mandatory action (i.e. “shall”) in this Appendix R shall be read and construed as words or phrases that indicate recommended action (i.e. “should”].”
Section M1305.1 Appliance access for inspection service, repair and replacement. Amend. Add after last sentence: "Mechanical rooms containing two or more appliances shall not be less than 40 square feet in area nor less than 4 feet in width or depth.
Section M1502.4.1 Add after ... (No. 28 gauge): "or material as approved by code official".
Section M1502.4.4.1 After last sentence add: "Dryer vent length shall not exceed rated length of dryer manufacturer".
Section P2603.5.1 Sewer depth. Insert "48" inches in two locations.
Section P2904 Dwelling Unit Fire Sprinkler Systems. Delete this section.
Adopt Appendix F - Radon Control Methods.
Section AF103.1 General. Amend. Add after last sentence: "Alternative system designs may be installed when approved by the code official".
Section AF103.8.1 Vent fan location. The vent fan shall be located within three feet of attic access opening.
1) Exception: An elevated walkway above insulation is provided from attic access to vent piping. Walkway shall be elevated a minimum of 30" above bottom of ceiling joists and a minimum of 30" below bottom of rafters. Walkway shall be a minimum of 24" wide.
2) Exception: Attic access and radon vent are both located within the garage footprint. Radon vent shall be exposed within the garage and within 6 feet of an electrical outlet.
Adopt Appendix G – Swimming Pools, Spas, and Hot Tubs.
Adopt Appendix Q - Tiny Houses.
Delete AF103.3 Soil-gas-retarder.
Delete AF103.5.2 Soil-gas-retarder.
Source: Ord. No. 3055, § 2, 2-16-82; Ord. No. 3484, § 2, 6-15-87; Ord. No. 3794, § 2, 5-6-91; Ord. No. 4702, § 2, 10-20-03; Ord. No. 4973, § 2, 9-17-07; Ord. No. 5135, § 5, 9-7-10; Ord. No. 5500, § 2, 11-6-17; Ord. No. 5532, § 1, 4-2-18; Ord. No. 5563, § 27, 8-20-18; Ord. No. 5687, § 1, 9-21-20; Ord. No. 5799, § 1, 9-6-22;