Updated Project Timeline
· Construction will start on Thursday, September 16th and is expected to take approximately 4 weeks to complete. The City is working with the contractor to develop a detailed schedule for the work as outlined in the respective area below. City staff will deliver detailed information to businesses and residents along each of the overlay areas as the project unfolds.
Overlay Areas (Expected order of construction – Subject to change)
· Norfolk Avenue from Cottonwood Street to east of flood control
This portion of the project is expected to take approximately one week. The milling will begin Thursday, September 16th and take approximately 2-3 days. The overlay is expected to begin Monday, September 20th and take approximately 2-3 days. Two way traffic will remain during the construction process; however, four lanes of traffic will be reduced down to two lanes until construction is complete.
· North 1st Street from Benjamin Ave to flood control
· Norfolk Avenue east of 27th Street – patching
· 37th Street from US Hwy 275 to City limits
· Hwy 81 both ways from Hwy 275
· Hwy 81 & Pasewalk Ave – patching
· Michigan Avenue from 13th Street to Glenn – Asphalt Caps
· Norfolk Avenue from 7th Street to 1st Street
· 7th Street from Madison Avenue to Prospect Avenue
This project includes milling off one to two inches of the existing roadway and the installation of new asphalt. The new layer of asphalt is a maintenance measure used to help extend the life of the existing roadway.
· Driving over the asphalt after it has been placed is not advisable until after the contractor has finished rolling it, which is completed almost immediately after the asphalt is placed.
· Driving on the asphalt too soon may result in loose asphalt being kicked up onto your vehicle or create markings on the new asphalt.
· The asphalt will be soft for the first day and vehicle motions, such as power turns, while stationary may deform the surface.
· During this process, please do not park on the street until the next day after construction has been completed.
· Detours may be required for some areas listed below.
· More details will be released in advance of the work.
Alternate routes may be necessary during construction; please plan accordingly, drive safely, and thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Contact the Engineering Division at 402-844-2020 with any questions.