Fire Division

Fire Division Training


All Paramedics at Norfolk Fire and Rescue receive 24 hours of training, which is then added to an additional 48 hours, at a minimum, of training received in house that is required to maintain National Registry Certification.  85% of our total full time staff are trained to the Paramedic level with the remaining 15% trained to the EMT Basic level. These EMT Basics will eventually take Paramedic classes at Northeast Community College in Norfolk.

The Norfolk Fire Division serves as a hazardous materials regional response team for Northeast Nebraska. Each year in August, we host a 40-hour Hazmat Technician Refresher Course and an 80-hour Hazmat Technician Certification Course at our training facility. The Nebraska State Fire Marshal Office Training Division provides instruction for these courses.

Norfolk Fire and Rescue also has many technical rescue capabilities to include grain bin, swift water, trench, ice and high angle rescue. We also have an active drone team with members from each shift and from our fire reserves. These teams spend many extra hours year to year honing in these skills.

Crews training confined space rescue for victims in lower level areas.                                  

Crews train on fire behavior and interior attack while our drone team provides watch over conditions from above. 


                 Crews working on bailout from a 2nd story window and high angle victim rescue.