A CNC Router is a 3D carving machine. CNC stands for "computer numerical control" which means the computer controls the carving rather than a human hand. It can be used with a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, foam, and aluminum. Users use Easel, a free web-based software, to design, import, and prepare 3D carving jobs. CNC Router projects can include creating work-working templates, signs, furniture
Users of the CNC Router must be 18 years old and complete the certification course in order to use it without supervision. Users ages 12-17 may use the CNC Router after completing the certification course, but must be supervised by an adult who has also completed the certification course. See our MakerSpace Policy for all the rules governing the use of the MakerSpace equipment.
The certification course includes a video class, an online test, and an in-person safety orientation. See below to start the process!
- First, watch the CNC Router Video Class
- Second, take the CNC Router Online Test
- Finally, schedule your in-person safety orientation
- You will be required to sign a Use and Release Agreement during your safety orientation.
- You must have an active library card in order for your certification to be complete. If you do not already have a library card, you may sign up for one at the time of your safety orientation. Please bring a photo ID and proof of your current residential address. See our Library Card Policy for acceptable documents.
Once your certification is complete:
- Make reservations for the CNC Router at https://norfolk-ne.libcal.com/reserve/makerspace.
- The library does not provide any materials for use with the CNC Router, but they are easily available from local stores or online vendors.
- Need a refresher tutorial or additional help? Schedule an appointment with a MakerSpace Instructor.
CNC Router Specs
- Brand: Inventables Carvey
- Spindle: 300 DC – 12,000 RPM
- ER-11 Collet: accepts bits with a 1/8″ shank, but can be switched to accommodate 3/16″ or 1/4″ shanks
- Machine size: 16.6 x 21.7 x 20.5 in
- Work Area: 11.6 x 8 x 2.75 in
- Accuracy: 0.003″
- Spindle runout: 0.001″
- Motor resolution: 0.001″ or greater on all axes
- Work area flatness: ±0.020″
- Control Software: Easel
Other Resources and Helpful Info
- Instruction Binder Materials
- Carvey and Easel Demonstration video [3 minutes]
- Carvey FAQ's from manufacturer
- Easel Software Tutorial
The CNC Router was donated following the completion of the Nebraska Library Commission's Library Innovation Studios Grant, which our library participated in during 2018-2019. This grant was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services [grant #LG-95-17-0046-17].