Police Division


Animal Control

Owners intending to claim their animals must do so within 72 hours of the animal's impoundment.  After this time the animals are available for adoption.  Contact Puppy Love 402-379-0511 2700 Eisenhower, if you are interested in adopting any one of these animals.

Claiming Your Animal From the Pound:  Fees first need to be paid at the Norfolk Police Division -202 N. 7th Street.   To redeem an impounded animal:  Show a valid picture I.D., fill out and sign an affidavit of ownership, and pay all applicable fees
1st Impoundment     $15.00
2nd Impoundment    $20.00
3rd Impoundment     $30.00
and all subsequent

Plus $5.00 per day or any part of a day the animal is sheltered, for animals impounded in the City of Norfolk.  You will also be required to license animals residing in Norfolk City Limits and sign all applicable citations. The charges for citations are not included in the above fees, you will have to take care of citations at the county court clerks office.

Animal may then be picked up from pound, Puppy Love - 2800 Eisenhower Avenue.

Boarding Agreement: If unable to pay for fees at the time of claiming your animal, owners may fill out an affidavit to make payment within 15 days.   City Licensing: Failure to obtain the license and/or the rabies vaccination within seventy-two (72) hours after release from im­poundment shall constitute a separate offense.  Severely sick or injured animals will be euthanized to prevent any unnecessary suffering. All others will be held for 72 hours from the time of their impoundment and either adopted to new owners or euthanized.

Licensing Your Animal: All dogs or cats three (3) months of age and over residing within the City limits must be licensed. All animal licenses can be picked up for free on 5/1/2020 at the Norfolk Police Division, Records unit.   A current rabies vaccination certificate is required to obtain a license.  The license will be good thru 12/31/2021.  If your rabies vaccination expires during that time you need to bring/fax 844-2160 a current copy of rabies vaccination once obtained.        

Dangerous Dogs:  Section 54-617 of the Nebraska Revised Statutes define a potentially dangerous dog as (a) any dog that when unprovoked (I) inflicts a non-severe injury on a human or injures a domestic animal either on public or private property, or (ii) chases or approaches a person upon streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack or (b) any specific dog with a known propensity, tendency, or disposition to attack when unprovoked, to cause injury, or to threaten the safety of humans or domestic animals.  A dangerous dog cannot go beyond the owner’s property unless it is restrained securely by leash or chain, and when unattended, it must be confined indoors or in a securely locked and enclosed pen or structure suitably designed to prevent the dog’s escape or the entry of young children.   For further questions regarding your animal, please contact the Norfolk Police Division at (402) 644-8700, or contact Animal Control Officer:

Section 54-617 of the Nebraska Revised Statutes defines a dangerous dog as a dog that, according to the records of an animal control authority: (i) Has killed a human being; (ii) has inflicted injury on a human being that requires medical treatment; (iii) has killed a domestic animal without provocation; or (iv) has been previously determined to be a potentially dangerous dog by an animal control authority, the owner has received notice of such determination, and the dog inflicts an injury on a human being that does not require medical treatment, injures a domestic animal, or threatens the safety of humans or domestic animals.


Hours: 8:15 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you cannot claim your property during these hours, arrangements can be made by calling the Property Officer at 402-844-2161.

All property seized, recovered, found or otherwise taken into custody by the Police Division is secured and held in storage under the supervision of the Property Officer. Following is a list of items frequently inquired about and procedures followed in their return or disposal.

Found Property - Known Owner : If the owner is known and the property can be released, the Property Officer will send a letter to the last known address notifying him/her of such. If the owner fails to claim the property within thirty (30) days of the notification, the property will be destroyed or sold at auction as appropriate.                                   

Found Property  - Unknown Owner: If the owner is unknown, the finder can claim the property after 30 days. To claim the property, the finder must request the property in person or in writing. After 30 days the finder is sent a letter notifying them to pick up the property. If the finder fails to, the property will be destroyed or sold at auction as appropriate.  These items can be viewed/bought at propertyroom.com.

Property Held For Prosecution:  In cases where property is being held for prosecution, it generally takes at least three months before a case is disposed of and the property can be released. There is also a 30-day appeal period in which the property must be held after the date of court disposition. At the time a disposition is received from the court, a letter will be sent to the owner of the property and they will have 30 days to pick up the property or it will be destroyed or auctioned.

Guns:  Guns no longer needed for evidence and that have been used in the commission of the crime will be destroyed. The gun will be destroyed 60 days after receiving notice of a court disposition of the case. If the owner wants his gun returned, he must obtain a court order to have the gun released to him. If a request is made by the owner for the return of the gun, the owner has 30 days to obtain a court order to have a gun returned. Guns held by the Police Division because of domestic or mental situations will be destroyed if used in a threatening manner. These cases will be dealt with on an individual basis. Guns used in a suicide can be returned to the family of the deceased.


Police Reports: Investigative reports are not released without a subpoena. You may call the Madison County Attorneys office 402-454-3311, or the Norfolk City Attorneys office 402-844-2130 reference prosecution of cases.

Accident Reports : You may obtain a copy of an accident report from the Police Division at 202 N. 7th St., between the hours of 8:00a.m. and 5:00p.m., Monday-Friday. Cost for the report is $3 if picked up, $4 by mail. Every operator of a motor vehicle involved in an accident resulting in either injury, death, or damages over $1500.00 to the property must complete a State Driver’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report IF law enforcement did not complete an investigation and report. State Driver’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report forms are also available from the Norfolk Police Division during regular office hours.

Accident Reports : You may obtain a copy of an accident report from the Police Division at 202 N. 7th St., between the hours of 8:00a.m. and 5:00p.m., Monday-Friday. Cost for the report is $3 if picked up, $4 by mail. Every operator of a motor vehicle involved in an accident resulting in either injury, death, or damages over $1500.00,  IF law enforcement did not complete an investigation and report  to the property must complete a State Driver’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report. State Driver’s Motor Vehicle Accident Report forms are also available from the Norfolk Police Division during regular office hours.

Handicap Permits:  Forms can be picked up at the Norfolk Police Department at 202 N. 7th St. between the hours of 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.  Forms are also available online.  Forms need to be signed by your physician and brought back to City Clerks office. There is no charge for the permits.

Criminal History Checks:  You may obtain a local criminal history check on someone for $5.00. This will only provide you with adult arrest and citation information from the Norfolk Police Division. It will be necessary to have the person’s full name and date of birth.

Bicycle Registrations:  Bicycles must be licensed with the City Clerk, 309 N. 5th St., Norfolk, NE. License fees are $2.00 and the term of the license shall be for a period of 2 years.

Fingerprinting:  Individuals needing fingerprinted for miscellaneous reasons, may do so at the Police Division for a fee of $10.00. Available during regular office hours, please call 402-844-2140 before coming in.

Towed Vehicles:  Vehicles towed by Norfolk Police Officers may be claimed 8a.m.-5p.m daily. Vehicles will be released only to registered owners who provide photo identification. A towing fee will be assessed as well as $25.00 for 1st day of storage, and $5.00 for every day there after.. Those claiming vehicles will then be directed to the City’s impound lot, where an officer will meet you to release the vehicle.  ****Note**** If your vehicle was impounded due to a DUS (Driving under Suspension) and the reason for your suspension was alcohol related such as DWI, your vehicle will be impounded for 10 days. Towing fees and storage will be accessed.

UTV/GOLF CART Registration:  Once the vehicle passes inspection 8am-5pm Monday thru Friday, police records staff will collect $50.00 registration fee and issue a plate that needs to be attached to the rear of the UTV, and a paper registration to be kept available as needed.  The UTV handout can be found on Police Division main page under helpful information.

Gun Permits:  Residents of the City of Norfolk are able to apply for gun permits that are necessary for the purchase of handguns in the State of Nebraska. Applicants must show valid Nebraska Identification, complete an application form and pay a $5.00 fee for a national Criminal history check. Applicant must have no prior felony arrest convictions, prior hospitalization for mental health reasons or domestic assault issues. Successful applicants will receive a permit or be advised for reason of denial within 48 hours. Available between regular office hours.

Stop Program:  The Norfolk City Attorney’s Office offers the STOP Program, which allows for the dismissal of a traffic citations issued by a Norfolk Police Officer for certain specified offenses. Questions about which offenses are applicable can be directed to the Norfolk City Attorney’s Office at 402-644-8732. To Enroll: Call the Nebraska Safety Council, Inc. at 402-483-2511 between hours of 8:30a.m.- 4:30p.m.  There are many online courses that appear similar to the STOP program.  Many are not recognized by the State of Nebraska.

Ride-A-Long Program:  Any adult can fill out a form to request a ride-a-long with an officer on patrol. Forms can be picked up from either the records or dispatch windows at the Police Division, or you may download the form. Bring the completed form back to the Police Division.  You will be contacted to let you know if your request is approved.