The Norfolk Housing Agency is governed by a seven-member board which is appointed by the Mayor and City Council. Each appointed member serves a five-year term on the board. One of the members of the board must be a resident commissioner, someone who receives rental assistance in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program.
The office is operated by an administrative staff and the Executive Director, who reports to the Board of Commissioners and the City Administration.
The Norfolk Housing Agency offers the following programs:
- Manages Meadow Ridge Estates, LP, a 24-unit Low Income Housing Tax Credit apartment building on McIntosh Road
- Manages Royal Oaks Estates, which are Rent-to-Own homes located in Woodland Park
- Provides Rental Assistance to low to moderate income families through the Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Program (Formerly known as the Section 8 Program)
- Provides Down Payment Assistance to families that income qualify
- Provides Owner-Occupied Rehab funds, as well as Single-Family Rental Rehab funds to families that income qualify