Planning and Development
About Planning and Development
The mission of Planning and Development is to support and promote managed, safe and sustainable development, through responsible planning, zoning, and building practices, within the City of Norfolk and its extraterritorial jurisdiction; and to respond to community needs in the areas of planning and zoning, electrical, mechanical, plumbing and general construction to manage development and growth.
Planning and Development as many duties including:
- Assist citizens with zoning related needs
- Administration of floodplain regulations
- Assist developers with development of new subdivisions, commercial building and city wide zoning regulations
- Prepare and maintain a comprehensive plan
- Implement provisions of the zoning ordinance
- Assist Board of Zoning Adjustment and contact for those citizens requesting an appeal before the Board
- Permits & Inspections – assist contractors, home builders and general public with building, zoning and other code concerns.