Johnson Park Development
The Johnson Park revitalization plan focuses on the rehabilitation of a park that was once considered an integral part of Norfolk’s economic and cultural identity. The plan includes varying degrees of grading to provide safe ADA access to the river, introduce additional parking, provide enhanced festival space, and cultivate the expansion of youth amenities. The introduction of an amphitheater with a permanent stage and grass seating for hundreds will establish another unique outdoor venue for concerts, plays, and ceremonies in Norfolk. For more information view the Summary Conceptual Planning Report prepared by Riverwise Engineering.
The City of Norfolk is receiving funding from a variety of sources for all planned improvements to Johnson Park and the surrounding area.
- Funding is currently being provided through the Lower Elkhorn NRD, CDBG Tourism, state and local funds, and private donations.
- Primary infrastructure items for all projects have been budgeted; however, private funding is still needed for some amenities, like park benches.
- An individual permit from the US Army Corp of Engineers is in process, and should be approved soon, for work in and adjacent to the Elkhorn River.
- Project Budget and Fundraising
If you are interested in financially supporting amenities at Johnson Park, please contact Steven Rames, Public Works Director, at 402-844-2020.
Project Documents and Images:
- North Fork Riverfront Development Project Update: May 4, 2023
- North Fork Riverfront Project Update: Oct. 27, 2022
- North Fork Riverfront Project Drop Structure Testing Aug. 29, 2022
- North Fork Riverfront Project Aug. 3, 2022 Update
- Johnson Park Project Video Overview
- 6/11/2021 Public Meeting Handout
Contact for Further Information:
Public Works Director/City Engineer